Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Monday, May 14, 2012

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-a book discussion

Monday Night Book Discussions
"THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS"
(written by Rebecca Skloot)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  5/14/2012
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks . . . I think that this book is probably an excellent book.  I started reading it and it draws the reader in right away.  The topic is unique as it discusses cell research in the early days, as well as human testing done in secret by the government. I had never heard this story and I'm sure the average person knows nothing about this research, either.  I think this is a very important book.  Everyone needs to know about this topic.   However, I have a very queasy stomach and there are a lot of medical practice issues discussed.  The farther I got into the book, the more my stomach began to hurt, I got nauseous and I just couldn't continue. 

No comments: