Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Friday, July 22, 2011

Marquise Knox

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
Thursday Night Concert Series
Eric Stein Stage-Oakdale Park
Salina, KS

THE SEASON ENDS . . .

MARQUISE KNOX
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  7/21/2011

Unfortunately, I was unable to learn the names of the band members.  There was nothing on the website listing their names.  The band members are referred to simply as "his band".
Marquise Knox
"his band"

MARQUISE KNOX . . .I will have to say I'm torn about what to say about Knox.  I didn't think that this was that great of a show.  Knox really didn't do it for me.  There were a few in the crowd that seemed into it.  Those small few were very vocal about what they were hearing.  Apparently they were suitably impressed.  I'm just not sure what about.

The performance for me, was lackluster.  The music was O-Kay but nothing spectacular.  I didn't get a chill down my back over any particular song.  The music was good.  Everyone in the band played well.  Knox sang well.  I didn't hear any off notes and the lyrics were dead on with the music.  It was very polished and professional.  What I didn't hear was "joy".  There was nothing special.  There was no sparkle.  There was nothing that set it apart from any other polished and professional band.

Now, it was 100 degrees in the park, there was no air moving, the audience was hot, and I'm sure the performers on stage were extraordinarily hot; what with all the lights and sound equipment giving off extra heat.  So, I'm sure that this probably produced the end result.

As you can see, I'm torn over this performance.  Knox and the band were polished and professional, to a fault.  They sounded good, no off-key notes. But something was missing.  Perhaps Knox was just out of his element.  I've never heard him at "Blues Masters".  I may have to go and check that out, see if there's any difference in the performance.

You be the judge. . .go and check out Marquise Knox in concert and let me know what you think.  Did I miss something spectacular?  If so, what was it that I missed?  Was Knox and the band having an off night due to the heat?  Or is polished and professional all there is to Knox and the band?

No comments: