Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Monday, September 9, 2013

Saving CeCe Huneycutt

Monday Night Book Discussions
"SAVING CECE HONEYCUTT"
(written by Beth Hoffman)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  9/09/2013


     I read this book a while back and didn't completely remember the story, but I remembered that I liked it, a lot.  So, I took this time to re-read the book and I am so glad that I did.

     This book deals briefly, at the beginning, with mental illness and how it affects the individual.  This part of the book wraps up quickly, but the lingering effects last throughout the book as the reader comes to see how this can affect an entire family.  No matter what happens to family members left behind in the wake of the tragedy that occurs early on, mental illness is always with them, even though they are not personally experiencing it within themselves. This is what occurs in real life with folks who have mental illness in their family.

     With that said, though, this book is a treasure.  Once the beginning set up of the book has taken place, CeeCee the main character, finally begins to experience a more normal life with normal circumstances even though she continues to reflect on the mental illness that colored her earlier days.  One of my favorite moments in the book is when CeeCee has moved to Savannah and has begun to realize that her life has taken a complete turn and she makes this observation to herself: "All I knew for sure was this: I had been plunked into a strange, perfumed world that, as far as I could tell, seemed to be run entirely by women."

     Add into this the slug accident, the mysterious traveling bra (with photo's) and the garden party knock down drag out fight that breaks out between well dressed southern ladies in pastel colored dresses who start trash talking one another and this book is far from dull.  I throughly enjoyed reading this book again.  It's definitely a must read.

No comments: