Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Monday, January 9, 2012

Maisie Dobbs-a book discussion

Monday Night Book Discussions
"MAISIE DOBBS"
(written by Jacqueline Winspear)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  1/9/2012


Maisie Dobbs . . .I enjoyed this book and it seemed that everyone in the group enjoyed it, too.  The book is billed as a mystery and I think that is an exaggeration.  This was far from a mystery book.  The book was also billed as being similar to "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and I felt their was no comparision to that series either.

If you are looking for a historical novel about a time period that few people are familiar with, World War I, than this is a terrific book to find out more about that time.  If you are looking for well developed characters, this book will satisfy that need.  If you want to know more about the in's and out's of British society, I recommend that you read this book.  But if you're looking for mystery and intrigue?  I would pass this one by and read something else.

With that being said, though, this is still a great read.  It's easy to read and moves swiftly.  I wouldn't say that it's a book you can't put down, but it's a unique book.  It's not like anything I've ever read before.  I think it will appeal to women the most but men can get a lot out of it, too.  There are two men in the group and they both enjoyed the book as well.  The story makes you think, not only about the actual story but about the time period.  It expands your mind.  I would say that's the mark of a great book.

Maisie Dobbs is a series and there are nine books out now.  They are:
  1.  Maisie Dobbs
  2.  Birds of a Feather
  3. Pardonable Lies
  4.  Messenger of Truth
  5.  An Incomplete Revenge
  6.  Among the Mad
  7.  The Mapping of Love and Death
  8.  A Lesson in Secrets
  9.  Elegy for Eddie

No comments: