Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tisha-a book discussion

Monday Night Book Discussions
"TISHA"
(written by Anne Hobbs as told to Robert Specht)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  4/9/2012
Tisha . . .This book has it all.  The heroine is exceptional, although she does make her share of mistakes and much like all of us, she can't see them, even when they are pointed out to her.  Anne is very human.  I liked her instantly.  The characters in this book have many layers and I came to know them as well as I know good friends.  The setting of late 1920's Alaska is explored in great detail.  It almost becomes a character of its own.

It's hard to believe when I arrived at the end of the book that this was only one year in Anne's life.  The story starts right in and continues at a fast pace, easily read, and impossible to put down.  This is one of those books where I started reading and just kept going.  Near the end, I won't tell you what was happening because I don't want to spoil it, I got so involved in the story that when I did put it down for the night it took me a while to come back into my life.  I was solidly in Alaska with Anne on her journey.

This book reminded me of a book I read when I was in junior high school, called "My Side of the Mountain".  Both books were about individuals who braved incredible odds in wild hostile climates and came out on the other side changed and better for it.  You must read this book.  (Both of them actually because they are very similar.)  It has something for everyone.

No comments: